2019 DANZ Māori Dance Residency Expressions of Interest
Thu 15 Aug 2019, 03:42 pm
Fri 27 Sep 2019, 05:00 pm
Lakes Performing Arts Company
1215 Hinemoa St
Closing Date: 5pm, Friday 27 September
DANZ Māori Dance Residency / Te Kanikani Whakamātau
Expressions of Interest
Dance Aotearoa New Zealand (DANZ) and Lakes Performing Arts Company are offering a unique opportunity for a Māori dance artist to explore their craft during a supported two week residency in Rotorua.
WHERE: Lakes Performing Arts Company Studios, Rotorua
WHEN: 21 October – 1 November 2019
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 27 September
AIM AND PURPOSE
The aim of Te Kanikani Whakamātau (TKW) is to expand the choreographic expression of Māori in Aotearoa reflecting the artistic vision of Māori in the 21st century. The whakataukī chosen for this choreographic project reflects the history of Māori choreographic exploration over the past 30 years:
Kua mārō te haere o te kaupapa. Ko tā tātou i nāianei he ū tonu, he ū tonu kātahi ka whakahōhonu, ka whakawhānui / The progress of the project has firmed. What we have to do now is consolidate and then deepen and broaden its scope.
This project presents a new pathway for Māori artists in Aotearoa, to have time and space to explore ideas, concepts, styles and forms of expression. The emphasis is on exploration, experimentation and is open to all dance styles and expressions of Māori movement.
“[TKW] is important because Māori choreographers - wāhine in particular – are marginalised within contemporary dance in Aotearoa and have limited support and resources within the wider industry. This is more often the case when artists pursue an experimental practice that exceeds normative understandings of ‘Māori’ or ‘dance’. DANZ has recognised this considerable gap in equity and responded by developing a Māori-specific Choreolab, which embraces diverse practices and practitioners.” – Tru Paraha, 2018 Resident
DANZ will provide:
- Rehearsal space at Lakes Performing Arts for 10 days.
- An artist stipend @ $750 per week.
- $1,500 towards stipend for additional dancers/artists (if requested)
- A mentor (if requested) for up to six hours.
Note: Stipends paid to artists and mentor fees will be taxed at the appropriate rate.
- A public showing and/or forum at the end of the two week process.
- A community workshop and public activation based on the residency (to be confirmed with DANZ).
- A written report on the artistic and cultural benefits of the residency.
- Images and/or video material for promotional purposes.
- Deadline for expressions of interest 5pm, 27 September
- Successful recipient informed 4 October
- Residency will take place 21 October – 1 November
- Public showing/forum will be scheduled at the end of the two week period
- Community workshop and activation schedule to be negotiated with DANZ
HOW TO APPLY
Application for Te Kanikani Whakamātau is by written proposal, outlining ideas for choreographic exploration.
While this residency is based in Rotorua, applications throughout Aotearoa are welcome. However, a successful applicant outside of the Rotorua locale must organise and cover their costs of travel and accommodation.
Please complete the attached application form with request for the following information:
- Name and contact details
- Iwi affiliation
- Dance background
- Title of project
- Area/focus of exploration and why
- What are your anticipated outcomes/impacts (for yourself and community/artists you might engage with during your residency)
- How this opportunity will benefit your career/practice
- Details of Mentor and/or dancer(s) you may wish to work with
- Your current CV
Application form: 2019 Māori Dance Residency
Applications close 5pm, 27 Friday September.
Download EOI information: Māori Dance Residency EOI
If you have any questions please contact DANZ by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 04 801 9885.