2019 DANZ Dance Residency at The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora Christchurch - Expressions of Interest
Fri 30 Aug 2019, 02:00 pm
Fri 18 Oct 2019, 05:00 pm
The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora
Expressions of Interest close 18 October 2019
EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST - DANZ Dance Residency at The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora (Christchurch)
Caitlin Davey - the first DANZ Dance Residency Recipient at St Kentergerns College, January 2019
Dance Aotearoa New Zealand (DANZ), in partnership with The Arts Centre Toi Matatiki Toi Ora, is offering a unique opportunity for a Christchurch-based dance artist to explore their craft during a supported two week residency.
WHERE: The Arts Centre Toi Matatiki Toi Ora, Christchurch
WHEN: 18 – 30 November 2019
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 18 October 2019
The aim of the DANZ Dance Residency (DDR) is to create a supported opportunity for a local dance artist to expand and develop their choreographic expression.
This project presents a pathway for an independent dance artist to have time and space to explore ideas, concepts, styles and forms of expression. The emphasis is on exploration, experimentation and is open to all dance styles and expressions of movement.
“As an emerging choreographer my methodology is still settling, and an important part of my practice is to collaborate with performers. Residencies are very helpful to solidify some practical things I can continue to do as an artist to moving forward to craft a good working environment…. It is heartening to see DANZ continue to extend their programme of dance residencies to other centres and I fully support them in this mission.” – Caitlin Davey, 2018/2019 DDR Recipient
DANZ will provide:
- Rehearsal space at The Arts Centre in Christchurch for 10 days.
- An artist stipend @ $750 per week.
- $1,500 towards stipend for additional dancers/artists (if requested)
- A mentor (if requested) for up to six hours.
Note: Stipends paid to artists and mentor fees will be taxed at the appropriate rate.
- A public showing and/or forum at the end of the two week process during the Ōtautahi Tiny Performance Festival curated by Movement Art Practice (MAP).
- A community workshop and/or public activation based on the residency (to be discussed with DANZ and The Arts Centre).
- A written report on the artistic and cultural benefits of the residency.
- Images and/or video material for promotional purposes.
- Deadline for expressions of interest 5pm, 18 October 2019
- Successful recipient informed 25 October 2019
- Residency will take place 18 - 30 November 2019
- Public showing/forum will be programmed into MAP’s Ōtautahi Tiny Performance Festival (30 November).
- Community workshop and activation schedule to be negotiated with DANZ and The Arts Centre.
HOW TO APPLY
Application for the DANZ Dance Residency is by written proposal, outlining ideas for choreographic exploration.
Please complete the attached application form with request for the following information:
- Name and contact details
- Dance background
- Title of project
- Area/focus of exploration and why
- What are your anticipated outcomes/impacts (for yourself and community/artists you might engage with during your residency)
- How this opportunity will benefit your career/practice
- Details of Mentor and/or dancer(s) you may wish to use
- Your current CV
Application form: https://form.jotform.co/92097240674865
Applications close 5pm, 18 October 2019.
If you have any questions please contact DANZ by emailing email@example.com or phone 04 801 9885.
This residency is supported by: Creative New Zealand, The Arts Centre Te Mata Toi Christchurch, Movement Art Practive (MAP)