DANZ Dance Residency at Saint Kentigern College Dance Academy
3 days ago, Fri 09 Nov 2018, 09:00 am
Fri 07 Dec 2018, 05:00 pm
Saint Kentigern College
130 Pakuranga Rd Pakuranga
Applications close 30 November
Dance Aotearoa New Zealand (DANZ) and Saint Kentigern College (Auckland) are offering a unique opportunity for a dance artist to develop their choreographic skills and create work in a supported environment.
Dance residencies provide an emphasis on exploration and experimentation rather than on an outcome to create product; two processes that at times, can be restricted due to funding models that exist for the dance sector.
The Saint Kentigern College Dance Residency aligns with DANZ’s strategic plan to support the professional dance sector, by offering a paid opportunity for an emerging independent dance artist to develop their choreography and create work.
The dance residency will be hosted at Saint Kentigern College during their summer break for three weeks from 7-25 January 2019. There is provision for the selected dance artist to work with dancers for one week on any choreography created as part of the residency, and scope for mentoring support to be provided during the residency as part of DANZ’s GPS programme.
There will be a showing or discussion at the end of the residency around what the dance artist learned and produced, with potential for the work to be developed further.
This project presents a pathway for independent dance artists in the Auckland and Northland region, to have time and space to explore ideas, concepts, styles and forms of expression. The emphasis is on exploration, experimentation and is open to all dance styles and expressions of movement.
As this project is based at Saint Kentigern College, the artist in residence must comply with the values and standards of behaviour of set by the management and Board of the College. Core values of the College are Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Love.
DANZ will provide:
- An artist stipend for three weeks.
- Additional stipend to work with additional dancers, if required (to be agreed).
- A rehearsal space at Saint Kentigern College from 7-25 January.
- A mentor; an experienced choreographer or appropriate person (to be agreed).
- Application for the dance residency is by written proposal (see below), and is open to all current DANZ members.
- Deadline for applications is 5pm, Friday 30 November, to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications close / 5pm, Friday 30 November.
- Notification of the chosen artist / 5pm, Wednesday 5 December.
- Process and conditions for residency agreed and contract signed / Wednesday 12 December.
- The residency will take place 7-25 January 2019.
- Rehearsal space from 8am to 4pm for three weeks, 7-25 January 2019.
- Stipend of $750 per week for the artist.
- Stipend for additional dancers or artists to work with, if necessary (amount to be agreed).
Notes: Stipends paid to artists and mentor fees will incur appropriate income tax rates. The residency is open to artists from anywhere within New Zealand, however those residing outside Auckland will need to cover their own travel and accommodation costs.
- Showing and/or review of the residency (to be agreed with DANZ and Saint Kentigern College).
- A written report on the artistic and community benefits.
- Images and/or video material for promotional purposes.
Download the application form: